Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday - Rewind



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly event meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish where she loves lists and makes a Top Ten list for a different subject each week.  This week she is doing a rewind, so if you missed any previous TTT, this is the chance to do it!  Or if you are like me and have NEVER done one, you can pick and choose your topic.




I'm picking:  Top Ten Favorite Heroines.





1.  Alanna of Trebond and Olau, King's Champion of Tortall.

From The Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce.  She has been my role model and favorite heroine since Middle School.  Which has been a long time as I am closing in on 30 years old this year.  Scary!  Anyway, Alanna is determined, strong and smart.  She can handle herself, a blade and ride "like a man".  I've wanted to BE her, that's how much I love her


2. Veralidaine Sarrasri.  Another character from Tamora Pierce's universe of Tortall, this time from The Immortals Quartet.  She goes by the name Daine and she has Wild Magic, she can heal and talk to animals.  I want her abilities like whoa.  Seriously, I used to be obsessed with Disney Princesses like Snow White and Cinderella if only for the fact that they could tame and talk to wild animals.  I used to sit on my back porch for hours, trying to be still so that I could will the squirrels to come visit me, it never worked of course.  Daine is humble and has quiet leadership qualities.  She is also compassionate.  Who wouldn't want to be her?  Really?  And not to mention that she has so many animal friends!  Cloud the mountain pony, Kitten the dragon, Tkaa the Basilisk.  Plus, any animal she meets is most likely a friend or will become one.


3.  Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Game by Suzanne Collins.  She's strong, she's human and she has flaws.  She can shoot a bow and arrow, she understands her mentor, Haymitch, and is loyal.  She loves her family more than anything else, even her life.  She's resourceful.  She has so many redeeming qualities that they make up for her social issues and her sometimes cluelessness.


4. Lucy Pevensie from The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.  She is the epitome of kindness, acceptance and faith.  And easily my favorite of the travelers and citizens of Narnia.  I like her for all of those qualities, and on a different topic, I think they picked the perfect actress to play Lucy in the movies.  Georgie Henley is fantastic!


5. Eowyn of Rohan from The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien.  Is is allowed to choose her when I haven't read the books?  I'm not sure, but I own and have seen the movies dozens and dozens of times.  My favorite part of the movies is when Eowyn is fighting with Merry, and they get separated, then she defends her Uncle from the Nazgul, saying, "But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund’s daughter. You stand between me and my lord and king. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him."  It makes me cry.  Seriously, I can't help it.


 6.  Angharad Crewe AKA Harry, from The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley.  It's been awhile since I've read this book but I love this book and it's predecessor, The Hero and the Crown (it's been even longer since I've read THAT one!)  I loved the story of Harry and Corlath.. *sigh*.


7. Herald Elspeth, formerly known as The Brat, is the main character of the Mage Winds Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey.  When she was young she was a spoiled child by her nurse, but she matures into a kind and powerful woman, and is chosen by her companion Gwena.  She becomes the first Herald Mage since Herald-Mage Vanyel, and gives up her position as Heir to start a mage school in Valdemar.


8. Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya.  She is just the sweetest, most caring character of all time.  Selfless.  Helpful.  Tidy.


9.  Aeriel from The Dark Angel trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce.  She goes through amazing metamorphosis throughout the books.  I've loved those books for such a long time now.  I kind of want to re-read them again.


10.  Jaimie Sullivan from A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks.  She's the only contemporary character, how funny is that?  She is faithful, humble and caring.  Do you see the pattern in all of the characters that I love?  Strength of character is normally paired with an inner strength, caring and selfless.  It's how I wish everyone wanted to be like.



This post took me all day!  Holy moly!  Happy reading all!



No comments:

Post a Comment