Sunday, August 29, 2010

Mockingjay { The Hunger Games #3 }

Title: Mockingjay
Author: Suzanne Collins
Ideal Age Range: Young Adult
Mass Market Hardcover: 390 Pages
Copyright Date: September 2010
Blurb: My name is Katniss Everdeen.  Why am I not dead?  I should be dead.
Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed.  Gale has escaped.  Katniss’s family is safe.  Peeta has been captured by the Capitol.  District 13 really does exist.  There are rebels.  There are new leaders.  A revolution is unfolding.
It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it.  District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol.  Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans-except Katniss.
The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss’s willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem.  To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust.  She must become the rebels’ Mockingjay-no matter the personal cost.
My Rating:(★★★★★The rousing conclusion of the The Hunger Games trilogy has been long awaited.  By other fans for longer than I, since I just read these books in the last few months, I did not have to wait too long to be able to read the culmination of a great sci-fi dystopian story that I couldn’t put down until I had finished the very last satisfying sentence.  I went out and picked up my copy of Mockingjay the day after it came out, even though my own Mother had pre-ordered a copy to be delivered to her house that I was allowed to borrow.  It hadn’t arrived yet, so I took matters into my own hands.
I didn’t last long before I cracked it open, and I only put it aside to sleep last night and in the morning I picked it up again until I had finished it.
I have to say that Katniss is strong to go through all that she has endured in these books.  I like the fact that she isn’t entirely a likeable character.  There are points where you realize that she isn’t in these books as a point of perfection; she is almost a clear representation of the human condition.  Enveloping the negatives and the positives that each human incorporates into their own being.  She isn’t a pure individual, she has the faults and the saving merits that we all have warring within ourselves, like her drive to survive, and her striving ability to protect those that she loves.  She uses the others around her, as do most people, whether we realize we do or not, we keep around the people who can do things for us, get us farther in our job or make us laugh.
The beginning of Mockingjay is a little slow, only because there is so little action in comparison to the majority of the rest of the books.  This slow start chugs along like a passenger train and really gets going quickly, jumping into more battles, more manipulations by both Ms. Collins and the Capitol and District 13.
Ms. Collins is not afraid of anything in these books.  She crosses the moral line herself killing off some of her characters in horrible ways with no signs of remorse, perhaps trying to show us as readers what it might be like in a real war where no one is safe, not even the ones you love and created yourself.
This trilogy culminated in an ending that was so much more satisfying to me than other popular stories that have come out recently, namely the Harry Potter books and even the Twilight books.  She doesn’t put things in a pretty box with a safe bow on it, what it is is realistic and wonderful and the last line blew me away and had the page blurring from the tears that fell from my eyes onto my cheeks.
In short?  Stunning.
Quotes: “If we burn you burn with us.”
Similar Titles: The Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
What I’m Reading Next: Back to trying to read Eldest by Christopher Paolini.
☆«·´`·.¸★☆★¸.·´`·»☆
My Rating System:
★ = didn’t like it
★★ = it was ok
★★★ = liked it
★★★★ = really liked it
★★★★★ = it was amazing
© demureconnoisseur/ Stacy Grey

No comments:

Post a Comment