Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Catching Fire { The Hunger Games #2 }

Title: Catching Fire
Author: Suzanne Collins
Ideal Age Range: Young Adult
Mass Market Paperback: 391 Pages
Blurb: Sparks are igniting.  Flames are spreading.  And the Capitol wants revenge.  Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games.  She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive.  Katniss should be relieved, happy even.  After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale.  Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be.  Gale holds her at an icy distance.  Peeta has turned his back on her completely.  And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol-a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.
Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she’s afraid she cannot stop.  And what scares her even more is that she’s not entirely convinced she should try.  As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol’s cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever.  If they can’t prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.
In Catching Fire, the second novel of the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, testing her more than ever before…and suprising readers at every turn.
Synopsis: Katniss and Peeta, the tributes of District 12 have returned home victorious.  Unfortunately, nothing ends up working out the way that Katniss wished it would, Peeta has pulled away from her (once he heard that most of what she did in the Games was an act).  Her friend Gale has also put his distance between them.
The Capitol has seen there last act in the Hunger Games as an act of rebellion, that might be inciting others into feeling the urge to rebel against their ultimate power over the districts.  In order to subdue the other districts, and to save their own lives, Peeta and Katniss need to prove to everyone that their act wasn’t of rebellion but out of their love for each other, if they fail?  The consequences could be dire for everyone that they love and care for.
My Rating:(★★★★I really enjoyed Catching Fire, I picked it up the day after finishing The Hunger Games.
I feel for Katniss, for how she could love Gale, who she has been a friend with since her father died in the mining accident that also took Gale’s Father.  And be torn by her loyalty and (maybe) love for Peeta as well, although, if it were I, I wouldn’t have a problem falling for Peeta.
The beginning of the book was smooth, and I felt the anger at the Capitol as it flexed it’s power in the farthest reach of District 12 by sending new Peacekeepers to crack down on the lax rule keepers and rule breakers.  The despair that weighs over the District, while Katniss is forced to plan a wedding after her and Peeta’s Victory Tour where he was forced to propose to her.
The action in the second half of the book had me turning pages upon pages, not wanting to stop until I finished the book and found out what happens at the end.
I read The Hunger Games in two days, actually about 10 hours, broken up over 2 days.  I finished Catching Fire in about 6 or 7 hours.  I haven’t pre-ordered a book in a long time, as I didn’t feel there were really any that I just had to have on the very first day it came out, but I am 100% positive that I will be heading over to my local bookstore and pre-ordering Mockingjaytomorrow, that’s how much I want to read the next book in this great series!
Quotes: "I wish I could freeze this moment, right here, right now and live in it forever."
Similar Titles: The Long Walk by Richard Bachman, The Running Man by Richard Bachman, The Lottery by Shirley Jackson, Battle Royale by Koushun Takami.

☆«·´`·.¸★☆★¸.·´`·»☆
My Rating System:
★ = didn’t like it
★★ = it was ok
★★★ = liked it
★★★★ = really liked it
★★★★★ = it was amazing
© demureconnoisseur/ Stacy Grey

No comments:

Post a Comment