Sunday, September 19, 2010

Personal Demon { Women of the Otherworld Series #8 }

Title: Personal Demon
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Ideal Age Range: Adult
Mass Market Paperback: 371 Pages
Copyright Date: April 2008
Blurb: Tabloid reporter Hope Adams appears to live the life of an ordinary working girl.  But in addition to possessing the beauty of a Bollywood princess, Hope has other unique traits.  For she is a half demon-a human fathered by a demon.  And she’s inherited not only a gift for seeing the past but a hunger for chaos- along with a talent for finding it wherever she can.  Naturally, when she’s chosen by a very dangerous group for a very dangerous mission, she jumps at the chance…
The head of the powerful Cortez Cabal- a family that makes the mob look like amateurs- has a little problem in Miami: a gang of wealthy, bored offspring of supernaturals is getting out of hand, and Hope is needed to infiltrate.  As spells, astral projections, and pheromones soar across South Beach, Hope weaves her way through its elite hot spots, posing as upscale eye candy and reading auras of the clientele-and potential marks.
My Rating:(★★I normally adore Kelley Armstrong’s Women of the Otherworld series, but this installment had me not quite as excited as usual.  Maybe it was because the main character was Hope Adams, Expisco Half Demon, or perhaps it was the fact that the point of view actually jumped between her and Lucas Cortez.  And for some reason that rankled me.
Maybe it was because the series is called, “Women of the Otherworld” and not “People of the Otherworld”?  So the point of view should only be a woman?  I’m not trying to be sexist or anything, but it did seem like a foray off the normal path that Kelley Armstrong is used to in her other books.  I could be mistaken though because it’s been many moons since I read No Humans Involved, the book that came before Personal Demon.
Her style of writing is still free flowing and very smooth to read, and a few of the scenes are exciting to follow along with but in my opinion, overall, the story was just not as good as some of her previous plots.  I wasn’t as involved, and I’m not sure if it’s just because I’m just not as big of a fan of the half demon character or if the mystery just didn’t appeal to me as much.
Overall, I can’t say I have anything specific to complain about, so I still rated Personal Demon as an ok read, but I do hope her next book is a little more of a stellar read because I really do enjoy her, and would hate to be disappointed again.
Quotes: She nodded.  “When it comes to bullshit detecting, Karl’s a natural.”
Similar Titles: Any of the other Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong, my favorites are the ones that star Elena as the main character: Bitten, Stolen, Broken and I haven’t read Frostbitten yet.
What I’m Reading Next: Haven’t decided yet.

☆«·´`·.¸★☆★¸.·´`·»☆
My Rating System:
★ = didn’t like it
★★ = it was ok
★★★ = liked it
★★★★ = really liked it
★★★★★ = it was amazing
© demureconnoisseur/ Stacy Grey

No comments:

Post a Comment