Sunday, July 11, 2010

Wizard's First Rule { The Sword of Truth #1 }

Title: Wizard’s First Rule
Author: Terry Goodkind
Ideal Age Range: Late teens-adult
Mass Market Paperback: 576 Pages
Blurb: A legend begins.  In the aftermath of the brutal murder of his father, Richard Cyper encounters a mysterious woman, Kahlan Amnell, in his forest sanctuary.  She seeks his help…and more.  His world, his very beliefs, are shattered when ancient debts come due with thundering violence.
In their darkest house, Kahlan calls upon Richard to reach beyond his sword-to invoke within himself something more noble.  Neither knows that the rules of battle have just changed..or that their time has run out.
This is the beginning.  One book.  One Rule.  Witness the birth of a legend.
Synopsis: Richard Cypher is a run of the mill Woodsguide.  At least that is all that he is in his own mind, but he is to become much more.  He will become the legendary Seeker of Truth, bearer of the Sword of Truth and save the world from Darken Rahl who seeks to destroy everything that Richard has ever known, beginning with facilitating the death of his father.
Joined by the Wizard, Zeddicus Zul Zorander and the beautiful Confessor Kahlan Amnell they depart upon a journey against time and against the greatest dark wizard there may have ever been.
My Rating: (★★★★1/2I have to be honest, I have heard about the Sword of Truth books by Terry Goodkind for awhile and resisted picking them up.  But I finally succumbed when I finished watching all of the seasons that are available of the television show that are based off of the books, Legend of the Seeker.
I am sad to say that I think that my reading ability has gotten lax, or maybe it’s the fact that I’m pregnant and find it harder to concentrate for long periods of time right now, but I seem to be reading slower than I used to.  I remember being able to zip right through books the length of Wizard’s First Rule in several hours.  I am pretty sure I was capable of reading and comprehending at about 100 pages an hour.  Not anymore!
I finally finished reading Wizard’s First Rule in about 5 weeks.  It was late back to the library.  But I did really like it!  And I enjoyed comparing it to the quite mediocre television series (even though I love the television show, I know that it’s not an A rated show), I liked seeing how the characters were portrayed in the book, and I loved everything in the book ten times better than I like them in the show.
I think that my favorite part of the book was while Richard was with the Mord-Sith, Denna.  It was interesting, and full of the psychology of a Mistress-Pet relationship.  And though it is fiction, it does shed the light on the fact that with the right kind of persuasion even the strongest of people can be broken.
Wizard’s First Rule had the right amount of action, romance, magic, and questions to be answered to pique my interest so that I keep reading the books, and I’m happy to be reading a new author that I can enjoy so much!
Quotes:  “Wizard's First Rule: People can be made to believe any lie, either because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it's true.”

☆«·´`·.¸★☆★¸.·´`·»☆
My Rating System:
★ = didn’t like it
★★ = it was ok
★★★ = liked it
★★★★ = really liked it
★★★★★ = it was amazing
© demureconnoisseur/ Stacy Grey

No comments:

Post a Comment