Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sandry's Book { Circle of Magic Book 1 }


Title:  Sandry’s Book {Circle of Magic}
Author:  Tamora Pierce
Ideal Age Range:  Middle School
Mass Market Paperback:  272 Pages
Copyright Date:  1997
Blurb: “With her gift of weaving silk thread and creating light, Sandry is brought to the Winding Circle community.  There she meets Briar, a former thief who has a way with plants; Daja, an outcast gifted at metalcraft; and Tris, whose connection with the weather unsettles everyone, including herself.  At Winding Circle, the four misfits are taught how to use their magic-and to trust each other.  But then disaster strikes their new home.  Can Sandry weave together four kinds of magical power and save herself, her friends, and the one place they have ever been accepted?”
My Rating:(★★★)  The first time that I read the Circle of Magic quartet, I wasn’t enthralled.  I was, in a word, disappointed.  Where was Tortall?  Why was Ms. Pierce writing about this new world?  I felt betrayed, and I’m sure my disappointment in the fact that her new books were not set in my favorite realm, Tortall, gave way to my disdain of the characters and my general dislike of the books.
Ten years later I went back and reread them.  All of them, though this review is only for the first, Sandry’s Book, and I was much more inclined to like them.  I knew that they weren’t about Tortall so there was no disappointment this time, and there was no comparing the Winding Circle books to the Tortall books, over and over again, like the first time that I had read them.
It bode well for a more enjoyable reading experience, to say the least.  Each of the books has a way of introducing you to a deeper part of the characters since each book is spotlighting one of the four main characters in the story.  Hence the naming of the books as Sandry’s Book, Daja’s Book and so on.  This first highlights Sandry, she is the wielder of weaving magic and a noble, but she loves her friends and is the diplomatic one.  All of the characters are smart, in their own way. 
I think that the fact that these books have a lot of character development would be my main compliment of the series, and considering that there are 8+ novels there is plenty of time to develop them!  Out of the series, The Circle of Magic, I think that Sandry’s Book would rank 3rd in the list.
Sandrilene as drawn by guardedcastle
Ranking:
1stBriar’s Book
2nd: Daja’s Book
3rd: Sandry’s Book
4th: Tris’s Book
Still, I don’t think that I have found a book that Tamora Pierce has written that I didn’t like, so as long as she keeps writing books will be as long as I keep reading them.
Quotes: "I am silly, now and then. My mother said I was, anyway."
Similar Titles:  Any other book by Ms. Pierce
Author’s Website: http://www.tamora-pierce.com/

«·´`·.¸★☆★¸.·´`·»
My Rating System:
= didn’t like it
★★ = it was ok
★★★ = liked it
★★★★ = really liked it
★★★★★ = it was amazing
© demureconnoisseur/ Stacy Grey

No comments:

Post a Comment