Sunday, June 27, 2010

Twilight { The Twilight Saga #1 }

Title: Twilight { Book 1 of the Twilight Saga}
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Ideal Age Range: 14- Up
Synopsis: A clumsy self-sacrificing girl named Bella moves to the rainy town of Forks, Washington to live with her father, Charlie, so that her hair-brained Mother can travel with her new husband.  In doing so, Bella becomes the New Girl and seemingly along with that title comes the affection of all the boys in school, even though she thinks little of her looks.  Once there, and rebuffing all the attention of the other kids at school, she draws the scrutiny of the secluded Cullens, especially Edward, who turn out to be Vampires, but the good kind (AKA Vegetarians read: eat animals not humans)!  Edward and Bella cannot stay away from each other as he draws her in with his debonair good looks and brooding murderous intent for her that he restrains, and he can’t stay away from her “heroin”-like smell.  Soon his desire for her blood turns to a desire to protect her from everything and everyone else.  Bad vampires show up and they want her too!  There’s a fight to the finish and Edward has to make a decision to save Bella’s life.
My Rating:(★★★) I read Twilight right before the Eclipse book was to come out.  I resisted a long time.  I read and heard all the hype before going into it, I read some bad reviews, heard people raging against the clichéd storyline, and how lots of people think that the story promotes unhealthy relationships in teens.  I also have witnessed the absolute adoration of the book as well.  And absolute adoration of Edward.
What’s my response to that?  It’s a story.  It’s not real, and Edward isn’t real.  I found it to be a fun read, albeit not the next Gone with the Wind or anything.  But I love books about Vampires.  I love books about the Supernatural.  I didn’t even really mind the fact that the reason the Vampires in Meyer’s books can’t go into the sunlight is because they – sparkle.
“His skin, white despite the faint flush from yesterday’s hunting trip, literally sparkled, like thousands of tiny diamonds were embedded in the surface.”
Seemed a little silly at first but I mentally shrugged my shoulders and let it go, I would probably have never thought of such a reason for them to not be able to be out in the daylight.  So, she used creative license in that respect, kudos to you Mrs. Meyer.
What did I like about the book?  Mainly I liked the fact that it was so “normal” for being a Young Adult Fantasy book.  I do admit that a lot of the super romantic things that Edward says to Bella had me torn between earnestly wishing a boy would say that kind of stuff to me and gagging with the cheesiness of the lines said.
I didn’t like the ease with how I could see the danger of their relationship being a dependent/abusive relationship.  I understand, it is different because of the supernatural element, but if you took that out of the story?  It definitely would be one of those relationships.  That isn’t something that I want thousands of young impressionable girls to desire!
But like I said near the beginning, it is a work of fiction, only a tale, just like Harry Potter is only a story about a school of witchcraft and wizardry.  Nothing to get up in arms about and spout “devilry!” at.  Fiction.  Fantasy.  Equalsnot Real. I even capitalize the Real.  As long as we all keep that in mind, I think we will be a-ok.
Quotes: “And so the lion fell in love with the lamb.” –Edward, Twilight
☆«·´`·.¸★☆★¸.·´`·»☆
My Rating System:
★ = didn’t like it
★★ = it was ok
★★★ = liked it
★★★★ = really liked it
★★★★★ = it was amazing

© demureconnoisseur/ Stacy Grey

No comments:

Post a Comment