Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Robin Hood (2010)

Title: Robin Hood (2010)
Director: Ridley Scott
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (For Violence including intense sequences of warfare, and some sexual content.)
Length: 2 Hours 20 Minutes
Tagline:  “The story behind the legend, the hero behind the outlaw.”
Starring: Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett
Synopsis: Robin Longstride is an archer in the King’s Army, marching back from the Crusades, when the King dies, he and his men end up taking the crown back to the Queen.  They then go to Nottingham to return Robert Loxley’s Father’s sword to him, once there Loxley’s Father, Walter convinces Robin to pose as Robert so that when and if he dies then his lands won’t go to the crown but will stay with the people, namely Robert’s widow, Marian.
In doing so, Robin becomes part of a coming together of the northern barons that want a charter brought into being that will make the King’s will bound by the law and restricted.  A man who was raised with the new King John is a traitor to the crown and is working with France’s King, Philip.  The barons come together under Robin’s leadership to quell the French forces with the King in attendance.  When the French surrender to Robin instead of him, he goes back on his word about issuing the charter and instead names Robin and all his men as outlaws to the crown.
My Rating:(★★★★) So, I went to see this movie before it left theaters for a few reasons.
Number 1- Alan Doyle.  He plays the part of Allan A’Dayle, one of Robin’s men, an Archer from the King’s Army.  Alan Doyle is the lead singer from my favorite band, Great Big Sea.  They are from Newfoundland and play Celtic Folk Rock music.
Number 2- I have always loved any version of Robin Hood that I have read or seen.  Even Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.
Number 3- I love period pieces.  I love the costumes, the sets, the stories.  They are mostly epics, full of adventure and sword fighting.
I thought that the acting was superb, nothing that any of the actors hadn’t done before (at least the stars) so it probably wasn’t hard for them.  Alan Doyle was fabulous as Alan A’Dayle, he got to sing a couple of songs and play a lute.  He didn’t disappoint me in the least.  I was excited that I saw him right away in the first five minutes of the movie and that his character didn’t die!
This story was a lot different than any other Robin Hood tale I had ever come across.  It wasn’t so much about “Robin Hood” as it was about the person he was before he became the outlaw/hero.  He was a soldier that had the respect of his friends and comrades.  He was honorable.  The tale of him as Robin Hood doesn’t start until the end of this movie.
The fact that Richard the Lionheart dies near the beginning threw me off because I’m used to the tale being that Robin Hood is stealing from the rich to give to the poor while the Lionheart is still away crusading and he returns at the end to give laud to Robin for protecting his people, but King Richard isn’t portrayed in that good of a light in this version.  His brother isn’t much better.
Plus, he isn’t even “Robin of Loxley”.  He is Robin Longstride, the son of a stonemason.  I’m open to different interpretations of stories though that have no real documented proof.  There’s always a new way to spin an old legend or story and I welcome those.
The action sequences were classic Ridley Scott.  My favorite is the super slow motion shot of the arrow being released by Robin.  It was pretty awesome to watch.
In short, I’d recommend it if you like period pieces, or if you like Ridley Scott movies, and if you like Alan Doyle.  :) They are all the reason I needed.
Quotes:  “Rise, and rise again. Until lambs become lions.” – Robin
“Ask me nicely.” - Robin

☆«·´`·.¸★☆★¸.·´`·»☆
My Rating System:
★ = didn’t like it
★★ = it was ok
★★★ = liked it
★★★★ = really liked it
★★★★★ = it was amazing
© demureconnoisseur/ Stacy Grey

No comments:

Post a Comment