Tuesday, March 22, 2016

cinder // marissa meyer

Title:  Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Genre: Young Adult
Page Count: 387 pages
Copyright Date:  2012
Blurb:
 Cinder wouldn’t fit in at a formal ball, anyway. Even if she did find dress gloves and slippers that could hide her metal monstrosities, her mousy hair would never hold a curl, and she didn’t know the first thing about makeup. She would end up sitting just off the dance floor and making fun of the girls who swooned to get Prince Kai’s attention, pretending she wasn’t jealous. Pretending it didn’t bother her.
Although, she was curious about the food.
And the prince did know her now, sort of. He had been kind to her at the market. Perhaps he would ask her to dance. Out of politeness. Out of chivalry, when he saw her standing alone.
The precarious fantasy crashed down around her as quickly as it had begun. It was impossible. Not worth thinking about.
She was cyborg, and she would never go to the ball.


My Rating (★★★★):

You should probably know this about me. Cinderella is my favorite fairy tale. I used to watch the Disney Animated Cinderella on VHS over and over again. When it was over, I would hit rewind and watch it again. I also had a obscene love for PB&J sandwiches, but that’s neither here nor there.

I read Cinder at the bequest of a friend of mine, well, she suggested it because she thought I would like it.  (Because of my Cinderella Love- I mean, I had a Cinderella Themed Wedding for gosh sake.) I wasn’t disappointed.

It isn’t even fully faithful to the fairy tale, I mean, there are aspects with each of these Lunar Chronicles books that take parts of the fairy tales they are sourced from but easily make them their own. The writing is entertaining and spunky and all of the characters are strong female heroes and I have a soft spot for SFH. Most of my favorite books are books that have female protagonists. Strong ones. Ones that wield swords and don’t need a man to save them. That kind.

Cinder doesn’t fail to make me happy. The only place that I felt it fell short was at the end, it clearly is only part of Cinder’s story and that kind of bugged me. It was anti-climactic for me (even though the end scene is supposed to be the climax), I was disappointed that it wasn’t a book that could really stand on it’s own, it’s obviously a part of a series, which to me, sometimes, feels like a way of cutting up what could be one large story into smaller sections to make more money and that is kind of annoying.

As much as I love Cinderella retellings, this wasn’t my favorite of the Lunar Chronicles’ series, but I still really liked it. I would recommend it to anyone who likes retellings, or sci-fi, or young adult in general.

Happy Reading, Y’all.

No comments:

Post a Comment