Monday, January 30, 2012

Alanna: The First Adventure { Song of the Lioness #1 } [Audiobook]


Title: Alanna: The First Adventure
 {Book 1 of the Song of the Lioness Quartet}
Author: Tamora Pierce
Ideal Age Range: Ages 11 and up
Audiobook: 5 hours and 17 minutes (4 CDS)
Narrated by: Trini Alvarado
Synopsis: Call it fate, call it intuition, or just call it common sense, but somehow young Alanna knows she isn't meant to become some proper lady cloistered in a convent. Instead, she wants to be a great warrior maiden--a female knight. But in the land of Tortall, women aren't allowed to train as warriors. So Alanna finds a way to switch places with her twin, Thom, and take his place as a knight in training at the palace of King Roald. Disguising herself as a boy, Alanna begins her training as a page in the royal court. Soon, she is garnering the admiration of all around her, including the crown prince, with her strong work ethic and her thirst for knowledge. But all the while, she is haunted by the recurring vision of a black stone city that emanates evil... somehow she knows it is her fate to purge that place of its wickedness. But how will she find it? And can she fulfill her destiny while keeping her gender a secret?
With Alanna: The First Adventure, veteran fantasy author Tamora Pierce has created a lively, engaging heroine who will charm middle-school readers with her tomboyish bravado and have them eagerly searching for the next book in the Song of the Lioness series. Like Brian Jacques's tales of Redwall, this popular quartet is an entertaining fantasy series for younger teens. --Jennifer Hubert (From Goodreads.com)
My Rating:(★★★★★) I can’t remember if I have ever listened to an audiobook before listening to Alanna: the First Adventure by Tamora Pierce.  I think I tried listening to The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien but didn’t get very far on it.  I borrowed this audiobook of Tamora Pierce’s from the library and I was thrilled to be surprised that I loved it as much as reading the book myself!
Trini’s voice and her ability to flow from one accented voice to another to clearly distinguish between characters was fabulous, and soothing at the same time.
I had actually forgotten just how many “favorite” parts of Alanna’s story I have!  I mean, I was chuckling out loud as I was listening to the parts that I enjoy, like when Alanna finally fights Ralon, or when she escapes into the city for George’s help when she starts turning into a girl. 
This is coming from the girl who has read and re-read Ms. Pierce’s Alanna books multiple times!  If you missed my earlier review of Alanna: the First Adventure, it is HERE.
I would definitely recommend listening to the audiobook of this title, and I can’t wait to borrow In the Hand of the Goddess tomorrow when I go and volunteer at the library!

No comments:

Post a Comment