Sunday, October 3, 2010

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone



Title:  Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
Author:  J.K. Rowling
Ideal Age Range:  Tween and Up
Mass Market Paperback:  400 Pages
Copyright Date:  October 1998, U.S. Version
Blurb: Harry Potter has never played a sport while flying on a broomstick.  He’s never worn a cloak of invisibility, befriended a giant, or helped hate a dragon.  All Harry knows is a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley.  Harry’s room is a tiny closet at the foot of the stairs, and he hasn’t had a birthday part in eleven years.
But all that is about to change when a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger:  a letter with an invitation to a wonderful place he never dreamed existed.  There he finds not only friends, aerial sports, and magic around every corner, but a great destiny that’s been waiting for him..if Harry can survive the encounter.
My Rating:(★★★★★)  Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone is another one of those books that I put off reading for the longest time because of the artwork on the cover.  It looked like a book meant for younger people than I was at the time of it’s publication, which was in 1998 and would have made me 17 years old.  What’s interesting about the Harry Potter books is that even though they are written for a younger crowd, tweens specifically, as you get further in the series, the books grow more mature as if they are aging with their initial readers.  I have been guilty many times of judging a book by it’s cover, which has probably kept me from enjoying some great books in my lifetime, but I finally read the first Harry Potter book right before the first movie came out because I was working at Hollywood Video at the time and obsessed with movies.  I really like reading the book a movie is based on first so that I can compare the two.  As soon as I finished reading the first book I was hooked, and bought and read the others within a month.  At least all that were available at the time, which I believe was up to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire if I remember correctly.
I became an instant Harry Potter fan.   Sorcerer’s Stone is a great beginning of Harry Potter’s story, he meets new friends, defeats his first enemy and is able to decipher between the bully of the school and who are good people to be friends with.  Oh, and he learns magic and gets to fly on a broomstick while playing one of the most exciting sports known in the wizarding world: Quidditch.
J.K. Rowling’s books are fun and easy to read and are great at getting the reading public more interested in reading!  I could probably safely say that she alone has increased the number of bookworms in the United States.  Not to mention the fact that the popularity of the movies have gotten people to read the books as well, as evidenced by myself.  I am in the process of re-reading all of the books because I sped through them the first time, and it was so long ago that I want to re-absorb the small nuances of character and all of the magic that is within their pages.
Quotes: "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Similar Titles:  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
«·´`·.¸★☆★¸.·´`·»
My Rating System:
= didn’t like it
★★ = it was ok
★★★ = liked it
★★★★ = really liked it
★★★★★ = it was amazing
© demureconnoisseur/ Stacy Grey

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe it took you this long to read this book! It's fantastic, isn't it? Have you read the others in the series yet? If not, you'll love them even more than this one; it seems the writing and storyline both get better as they go on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no, I read it for the first time when the first movie came out, I am re-reading them now! :) LOL.

    ReplyDelete